Website AmCham China
The American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization representing nearly 1,000 U.S. companies operating across China, including most of the Fortune 500. The Chamber’s nationwide mission is to help American companies succeed in China through advocacy, insights, relationships, and business support services. With offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Dalian, Shenyang, and Wuhan. AmCham China has 25 Working Groups and holds more than 300 events per year.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates with the passion, capabilities, and experience to support AmCham China’s growth and services to our member companies. Operating at the heart of the foreign business community in China, this position is a unique, exceptional opportunity to engage with leaders of global companies and government officials from the US and China in a fast-paced, creative, and collaborative environment. The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive base salary plus a meaningful performance-based bonus.
Position: Director, Member Operations
Team: Member Operations and Chapters
Report to: President
The Director of Member Operations (also serving as General Manager for Chapters) leads one of the most dynamic and interdisciplinary teams at AmCham China, delivering value to members through programs and services across our offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Wuhan, Dalian and Shenyang. The Member Operations Director will have 7 direct reports leading a total team size of 15 professionals with diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
The Director of Member Operations leads teams that oversee AmCham China’s 25 Forums and Committees, member-driven working groups that serve as the life blood of the Chamber. These working groups focus on (A) Advocacy and policy analysis, (B) Business insights sharing and (C) Community activities. Many of these “A, B and C” activities are delivered through content rich speaker programs and topic-based seminars, which offer members opportunities to interact with and learn from industry experts and business practitioners. Also, three of the groups – healthcare, energy, and agriculture/food – are elevated as Industry Teams (each with a leader) responsible for both industry working groups and premium member services (through Cooperation Programs recognized by US and China governments).
The Director also oversees business development activities such as exclusive sponsorship products and promotional services. Some of these services are provided in collaboration with our Marketing and Communications team and critical to the success of our year-round signature programs and print and digital publications. In addition, Member Operations team also drives AmCham China’s training and education programs closely associated with the Forums and Committee and business development activities.
Finally, the Director is responsible for AmCham China’s training services that leverage the education, HR, and other working groups along with an established pool of professional trainers to offer fee-based professional development and learning programs to members.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
As Director of Member Operations, he/she serves as a right-hand for AmCham China’s President to deliver exceptional value to members, achieve budgets, and drive growth of the Chamber. Strong leadership, management, communications, and cross-Chamber collaboration capabilities are essential. This creative role requires flexibility, natural ability to multi-task and common sense on how to best prioritize team resources. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- (35%) Industry Groups and Forums and Committees Operations: Oversee the operations of 25 industry working groups led by 3-5 “Forums and Committee Coordinators” and 3 Industry Team Leaders. As part of this role, manage various stakeholders including member vice-chairs for working groups, US government interlocutors with the US Embassy and central and provincial/local Chinese government organizations.
- (15%) Programs and Events: Oversee major Signature Events and Programs throughout the year, ranging from theme/content planning, sponsorship, partnerships, event planning, and marketing and communications (in collaboration with AmCham China’s Marketing & Communications Department). Our best-in-class Signature Events and Programs build off decades of experience, executed by an exceptional team with significant operational experience and established partnerships.
- (25%) Chapter Management and Local Engagement: Manage Chapter team of 6 professionals in Tianjin, Wuhan and Dalian who are responsible for all aspects of local Chapter operations. Key role of the Member Operations Director is to align with Member-led Executive Committees in each location to ensure strategies, plans and resources are in place and aligned with overall Chamber strategies. The Director also aligns Chapter resources and programs with Chamber-wide strategies, plans and budgets in areas such as membership, advocacy, government relations, and programming to deliver value to both local Chapter and Chamber-wide members.
- (15%) Business Development: Oversee and expand business development including innovative use of Corporate Partner Program (CPP), Local Government Partner Program (LGPP), sponsorship, and grants to deliver benefits to financial contributors, members and AmCham China. The Director will work closely with other Departments, in particular Membership and Marketing & Communications, to promote and sell services.
- (10%) President and Board of Governors Support: The Director interacts and engages with the Board of Governors on a variety of activities and decision-making and as such will possess strong stakeholder management and communication skills and capabilities. In addition, the Director will support ad hoc projects and initiatives initiated by the President’s Office, in line with annual priorities and AmCham China’s strategic plan.
Leadership and Management:
With one of the largest teams at AmCham China, Member Operations contributes ~30% of the organization’s revenues, with team members at various levels of seniority from Associate Director to fresh graduates. As such, strong leadership and management skills are essential; in particular, the ability to attract, manage, motivate, mentor staff through rigorous yet innovative application of AmCham China HR policies, processes, and tools. Further, strong financial and administration skills and capabilities are important to achieve budgets and operate in an effective and efficient manner.
- Minimum eight to ten years of relevant experience in public relations, advocacy, marketing and general management with extensive experience working with stakeholders in both public and private sectors;
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Political Science, Economics, Public Administration, Marketing and/or Public Relations preferred, ideally with a liberal arts undergraduate degree from the U.S. In-depth knowledge of several industries is also desired but not required;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in both Mandarin Chinese and English, and ability to apply these skills flexibly to communicate appropriately with members, business partners and divers government stakeholders;
- Strong interpersonal and people management skills with a pleasant, outgoing, and can-do attitude that promotes team spirit and cross-chamber collaboration;
- Comfortable interacting and working closely with diverse people and personalities, whether junior staff, company senior executives or senior government officials;
- Ability to work under pressure in deadline and result oriented environment. Proven project management and time management skills are essential;
- Creative mindset and natural ability to experiment with new ideas and take calculated risks, in response to ongoing changes to the Chamber’s macroenvironment and Chamber’s on-going transformation priorities;
- Capable of delivering diverse programs and services balancing need for financial performance with limited resources and – at times – conflicting priorities;
- Good judgement, creative, practical, results-oriented with excellent people skills.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com