Website AmCham China
The American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization representing nearly 1,000 U.S. companies operating across China, including most of the Fortune 500. The Chamber’s nationwide mission is to help American companies succeed in China through advocacy, insights, relationships, and business support services. With offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Dalian, Shenyang, and Wuhan. AmCham China has 25 Working Groups and holds more than 300 events per year.
Company: AmCham China
Job title: ICT Industry Working Group Manager/Associate
Reports to: Senior Director, Member Operations
Member Operations is a dynamic and the largest team at AmCham China, creating value through membership programs and services across our offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Wuhan, Dalian and Shenyang. One of the team’s key responsibilities is to operate AmCham China’s industry / issue-based working groups, known as “ Forums and Committees” – our member-driven working groups that serve as the life blood of the AmCham China’s policy and regulatory advocacy (A), business insights sharing (B) and professional community development activities (C). Many of these A, B and C activities are delivered through our content rich speaker programs and topic-based seminars, which offer members opportunities to interact with and learn from industry experts and business practitioners first-hand information on U.S.-China trade, market access, policy, regulatory and technology development issues across many different industries. As part of the larger Member Operations team, each Forum and Committee coordinator has a designated portfolio of industry and issue based forums and committees, and serves as a key point of contact to engage with industries, interest groups, individual member companies and executives to operate the Forums and Committees.
Member Operation team is also responsible for a set of business development opportunities at AmCham China, including providing exclusive sponsorship products and promotional services for our membership and non-member clients including both governments and corporates. Some of these services are provided in collaboration with our Marketing and Communications team and critical to the success of our year-around signature programs and print and digital publications. In addition, Member Operations team also drives AmCham China’s training and education programs closely associated with the Forums and Committee and business development activities.
As the largest hub of member services and engagement, our team members enjoyed the opportunities working on a variety of programs and services through very close collaboration with both members and other teams within the organization. In addition to subject matter knowledge, these have become important pathways to develop professional skills including stakeholder management, resource sharing, driving a project from scratch to success, marketing, business development, and others.
The Working Group Manager/Associate is expected to thrive on the following key responsibilities:
- Developing industry development agenda together with operational leadership and leadership and key members of each forum or committee, and following up with engagement with key U.S. and Chinese government and industry stakeholders to produce advocacy progress beneficial for U.S. companies’ competitive position in China (20%)
- Monitoring key regulatory, business and technological developments corresponding to each forum or committee, and accordingly creating event programs with thought leaders to keep sustained dialogues as a key AmCham China service (30%)
- Working with each other within the Member Operations team and with colleagues from other team to ensure meaningful contribution to AmCham China’s membership recruitment, advocacy initiatives and business development success (20%)
- Create consistent updates of Forums and Committee success stories in advocacy, insights and business development wins, and ensure proper marketing and outreach to key stakeholders including members, potential members, government counterparts and other partners (20%)
- Organizing key companies within each forum and committee to participate in outreach and promotional events around China to strengthen market access and business development under AmCham China’s brand, and creating networking gatherings that would strengthen membership loyalty and togetherness as a professional community (10%)
Our Forum and Committee staff are amongst those growing the fastest across the whole AmCham China organization, and are put on a three-phase development path with clear development indicators of business and soft skill goals and performance evaluation, and are often successful to make connections to their next step corporate career in specific industries and functional fields, especially in the fields of government and corporate affairs, marketing and strategy, and public relations and corporate communications.
The basic skills and characters expected for each member of the Member Operations team include:
- Detail oriented, initiative, able to work independently;
- Capable of communicating (written and verbal) effectively in both English and Chinese, and excellent in management reporting tools;
- Ability to show the right judgement on problems, demonstrate superb ability of prioritization while multitasking;
- Strong sense of community and be able to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to support others.
On top of those, in order to fulfill the job’s responsibilities and expectations, each Forum and Committee Manager is expected to demonstrate the following strong education background, business and organizational skills:
- Minimum one year of work experience in event, media, marketing, public relations, business development, government relations, consulting. Fresh graduates from college and graduate in these related field of studies with strong extra-curricular records are also highly preferred;
- Prior in-depth subject matter knowledge on ICT industry is not a must but a plus;
- Strong sense of organizational behavior and processes, excellent team and people skills to be able to manage KPI delivery through working with multiple internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintain productive engagement and relationship with key member companies and individual members;
- Be able to manage membership and engagement database corresponding to the designated forums or committees;
- Be able to learn and understand key subject matter and business knowledge;
- As a team player, leverage skills, expertise, resources and support from different teams to deliver successful execution of F&C programs.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org