Website AmCham China
The American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization representing nearly 1,000 U.S. companies operating across China, including most of the Fortune 500. The Chamber’s nationwide mission is to help American companies succeed in China through advocacy, insights, relationships, and business support services. With offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Dalian, Shenyang, and Wuhan. AmCham China has 25 Working Groups and holds more than 300 events per year.
The American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China is a non-profit, non-governmental organization representing nearly 1,000 US companies operating across China, including most of the Fortune 500. The Chamber’s nationwide mission is to help American companies succeed in China through advocacy, insights, relationships, and business support services. With offices in Beijing, Tianjin, Dalian, Shenyang, and Wuhan, AmCham China has 25 working groups and holds more than 300 events per year.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates with the passion, capabilities, and experience to support AmCham China’s government affairs and policy-related services. Operating at the heart of the foreign business community in China, this position is a unique, exceptional opportunity to engage with leaders of global companies and government officials from the US and China in a fast-paced, creative, and collaborative environment.
- Position: Associate Director or Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Policy (title dependent on candidate’s qualifications and experience)
- Team: Government Affairs and Policy
- Reports to: Director of Government Affairs and Policy
As a primary pillar in our pursuit of improving the business environment and helping American companies succeed in China, AmCham China’s advocacy efforts address a wide scope of industry needs and extend from the central government to the local municipality levels. AmCham China advocates on behalf of our members’ evolving needs in the ever-changing China business landscape through a host of central and subnational government engagement efforts, large events such as the Annual Appreciation Dinner, and ongoing policy analysis and recommendations.
While AmCham China is not affiliated with any branch of government, it works closely with both the Chinese and US governments. Such government engagement is underpinned by the chamber’s vision to enhance the business environment in China and strengthen cooperation and understanding between the US and China.
The GA and Policy Associate Director or Senior Manager leads GA related advocacy strategy, activity planning and execution towards Chinese key stakeholders, including governments, party organizations, associations, think tanks, academia to help members’ operations and investments in China.
Duties and responsibilities
- Co-lead the formation and implementation of policy and government affairs strategies
- Strengthen effective and positive relations with both Chinese central and local governments, party organizations, think tanks, and related institutions at both senior and working levels
- Communicate, engage and advocate the Chamber’s and members’ positions with Chinese government organizations
- Lead planning and execution of Chinese Government Annual Appreciation Dinner and oversee implementation of other key events, including the Annual Government Affairs Conference
- Oversee production of Chinese-language versions of advocacy documents and reports, including the annual White Paper, Business Climate Survey, regulatory submissions, and the Chamber’s general statements on important and broader issues; develop and implement related government and stakeholder outreach strategies
- Play a leading role in the implementation of AmCham China’s GA and Policy-related Long Term Strategy and other special projects
- Support managing a team of high-performing, dedicated professionals
- Support AmCham China Chapters, Committees and Forum government related activities as needed
- Cultivate an active Chinese Government Affairs community via the active CGAC working group and leverage their resources to support overall advocacy goals
- Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, International Affairs or an MBA from a US university is highly preferred
- Track record in strategy development, strategic planning and impactful implementation
- Strong analytical and communication skills (written and verbal) to develop and convey strategies, policies and plans
- Proven ability to develop lasting relationships and interact professionally with a wide range of Chinese and US government organizations and policy influencers
- Relevant professional network and experience in engagement of bi-lateral high level government exchange and dialogues
- Team leader and collaborative player who can support AmCham Board of Governors and President, lead teams, work across functions and support Chapters as required
- Demonstrate proficiency in Office 365 applications (PowerPoint, Teams etc.), and gain mastery of SharePoint, EventBank system and our Dynamics CRM
- Fluent in both oral and written English and mandarin Chinese
- Highly organized, self-starter with a natural ability to multi-task
- Strong project management skills with an ability to proactively plan and meet deadlines
- Dependable, flexible, and service-oriented
- Team player
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org