Take this important step towards becoming a future leader of
the US-China business community!
We are excited to announce that the application period for the 2023 AmCham China Leadership Development Program (LDP) is now open!
The AmCham China Leadership Development Program is designed to train young professionals to be future leaders of the US-China business community. Every year, the Board of Governors selects 30 – 35 candidates to participate in this prestigious eight-month program.
The AmCham China Leadership Development Program (LDP) was launched in 2017 with the goal of building an ever-expanding group of leaders capable of carrying the AmCham China community forward. Our mission is to nurture future leaders by encouraging them to engage with members of the AmCham China community and the US-China relationship. The eight-month program selects qualified China-based applicants of both Chinese and US citizenship working in different companies, industries, and with varying experience levels. The program is designed to train professionals to become future leaders of the US-China business community and enhance the leadership skills of program participants.
Candidates of the AmCham China Leadership Development Program will gain full exposure to the US-China business community. Each month there will be one three-hour session covering topics such as multicultural leadership, government relations in China, innovation leadership, US Embassy commercial operations, etc. Successful candidates will be awarded an “AmCham China Leadership Development Program” certificate of completion at AmCham China’s Annual General Meeting in November 2023.
“I have benefited greatly from the speakers and enjoyed a lot the networking opportunities throughout the LDP program. The unique experience is valuable for my career and personal growth!”
– Jayden Zhang, Chief of Staff to Merck China President, Head of China Office, Merck Holding China & 2022 LDP Fellow
“I highly recommend the LDP program to all young leaders. The program does a fantastic job of balancing depth and breadth of leadership, through engaging leaders across all industries in thought provoking topics and discussions. Is there a year 2 of the program? ”
– Steve H. Qin, Project Execution Manager, Huizhou Chemical Complex Project, ExxonMobil, Ltd & 2022 LDP Fellow
“Joining the LDP program was one of the most remarkable experiences for me in 2022. I was deeply impressed by the number of speakers that LDP has invited for speeches – most of whom served as senior leadership team members in various industries and shared their life experiences that could not have been heard elsewhere. Besides, it was also encouraging to meet so many inspired young professionals. A sincere thank you to everyone who put this program together!”
– Kara Ma, Chief Operation Officer, Beijing BISS International School & 2022 LDP Fellow
“It was a great learning experience with valuable insights and practical experiences from senior leaders from various industries and areas. I also got many friends from the 8-month LDP journey which are treasures for my future work and life.”
– Huihui Wang, China Government Affairs Manager, Agilent Technologies & 2022 LDP Fellow
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- AmCham China member or employee of a member company (limited seats open to non-members)
- Aspiring leader aged between 28 and 40
- Lived in China for a minimum of two years
- Willing to commit to actively participating in an AmCham China Committee or Forum during the program year
- Have an interest in furthering your knowledge about US-China relations and community leadership
- Committed to attending all program sessions (two excused absences allowed)
What will you gain?
- Access to an engaged network of aspiring leaders in China
- Opportunities to develop skills in research, collaboration, and public speaking
- Valuable insight and expertise from leaders of the US-China business community
- Deeper understanding of vital topics that distinguish you from the competition
The program requires attendance of one three-hour session per month starting in April and ending in November. Networking opportunities are incorporated through social dinners and activities. Program sessions are led by senior leaders and industry experts of the AmCham community. Sample topics covered are (NOTE: these are examples of 2022 classes’ curriculum, not necessarily the exact topics 2023 LDP will cover):
- Program Kick-off / Session 1: Introduction to AmCham China and Leadership Principles
- Session 2: Understanding AmCham China and US Embassy Relations
- Session 3: Tech CEO Session – Leadership and Innovation
- Session 4: Coaching in Leadership – Coaches as Leaders
- Session 5: The Leadership Journey
- Session 6: Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability
- Session 7: Government Relations in China
- Session 8: Diversity in Leadership
- Graduation Celebration
Participants are expected to attend all sessions in person or online. Program participants must attend six out of eight sessions to graduate.
for AmCham China members or employees of member companies
RMB 6,500 for non-members
*Participants are encouraged to seek corporate sponsorship
Application deadline is 5pm Friday, March 6, 2023
Successful applicants will be notified by March 31, 2023
*Online form must be completed for the application to be considered.
*Submit a short bio (English), CV, and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AmCham Leadership Development Program” to complete your application.
Contact Nan Zhang at email@example.com if you have further questions.