Website The Conference Board
The Conference Board is a world leading business think-tank that, for over 100 years now, has provided independent, leading-edge research on the most pressing business issues of the era. Our research spans an array of economic, human capital, and corporate leadership topics. Our mission is simple: to provide research-based insights for what’s ahead to help global business improve performance and better serve society. We are looking for a dynamic and capable Associate Economist to join our research team in Asia as a specialist on Chinese consumption and labor market developments and trends, as well as macro consumer and consumer confidence trends in Asia.
Department: China Center for Economics and Business
Location: Beijing, P.R. China
Anticipated Hire Date: Immediately, applications on a rolling basis until position is filled
Employee Status: Full-time employee
Travel % (if applicable): 10%-20%
Reports to: Research Director, Asia
- Undertake short-, medium-, and long-term analyses of consumer market and labor market trends and developments in China and study the demographic and policy factors shaping and influencing household consumption and employment in China.
- Produce regular written English-language China Center research and thought leadership deliverables (e.g., reports, short articles, PPT decks).
- Present ideas and research in person, via teleconference, and web presentations to China Center and global Conference Board members.
- Act as the lead researcher for our consumer and labor markets’ programs and establish The Conference Board as a “credible voice” in the China economic development debate.
- Support the development of Asia-wide economic research content based on The Conference Board’s Consumer Confidence Index program
- Act as the primary developer of the China Center’s research agenda as it relates to the household consumption topic area across all of the factors that drive/influence consumption: employment, income, consumer preferences, sentiment, savings,
government policy, retail developments, etc.
- Continuously track policy and economic development in relevant areas.
- Produce high-quality research products based on in-depth primary and secondary research.
- Produce quarterly outputs for China and Asia derived from The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index survey.
- Closely collaborate with China Center and global team members to interpret developments and assess their impact on China’s economy and business environment, and on the regional and global economy.
- Contribute to conceptualizing and constructing PPT-based analysis and narrative for China Center member events and meetings.
- Contribute to conceptualizing and executing new, innovative ideas and strategies to
engage members on research content (e.g., webcasts, podcasts, videos, infographics,
Knowledge and Skills:
- Solid economic credentials and relevant experience in empirical economic research.
- Good grasp of macroeconomic developments in China and solid expertise in at least one area of structural economics, in particular: consumption, demographics, productivity, and labor markets.
- Excellent math skills and a familiarity with the sources and quality of data in China.
- Good grasp of Chinese political economy and socio-economic issues.
- Ability to engage in thought-leading research, including conceptualization of future trends, in a given topic area.
- Ability to connect economic issues to business planning issues faced by companies – i.e., the outlook for growth, stability, risks, or shocks and their impacts on business conditions on the ground.
- Very good presentation skills are essential to this role. Experience presenting to business and/or C-level audiences will be a major advantage.
- Experience with economic analysis of other Asian markets, or a keen interest in branching out beyond China analysis, will be a major advantage.
- We are looking for a creative, innovative candidate who enjoys collaboration and teamwork.
- The candidate must have proven structured thinking and English writing skills. Written and spoken English does not have to be perfect, but the candidate’s point of view and arguments in English must be clear, comprehensible, and compelling.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- M.A. in Economics or higher preferred. B.A. in Economics considered if accompanied by strong substantive working experience in economics.
- 2-5 years relevant work experience.
- This position is a great opportunity for a junior professional who is seeking to establish him/herself as a subject matter expert.
- Due to applicable Representative Office regulations, Candidate must be a local PRC national.
- Candidate must be based in Beijing, or willing and able to relocate.
We offer competitive salary and employment conditions. Compensation will be discussed in person, according to candidate’s qualification and experience.
Submit CV, cover letter, writing sample(s) and expected salary range to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit tcb.org.