I am keen to get more involved with AMCHAM China now that I have some experience on-the-ground in China and I would like to serve on the Board of Governors. I attach my bio for some background.
As the Managing Partner and Chief Representative of Steptoe & Johnson LLP in China, I am happy to assist AMCHAM in any way possible with regulatory compliance and government affairs as well as other matters. Prior to joining Steptoe about 10 years ago, I worked as senior international regulatory counsel for BP and was much involved in government relations and regulatory compliance matters around the world, including in China. I believe this experience will assist me in carrying out my responsibilities on the AMCHAM Board. In addition, I am happy to bring other resources of our office in Beijing to assist AMCHAM, including, for example, guidance from my partner, Ying Huang.
As you know, Steptoe has been closely associated with AMCHAM for over ten years, and one of my predecessors, Eric Emerson, served as General Counsel of AMCHAM. I am keen to get more active and I participated in the trip in Spring to Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and we were a sponsor of the 4th of July celebration this year. In August, I made a trip home to California and now I am back to Beijing.
I would be grateful for your support and for you to vote me for the Board. Many thanks.
Managing Partner—Beijing Representative Office
USA Mobile+1 832 239 0707 | China Mobile +86 139 1084 1723
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Rich Battaglia helps multinational companies develop workable compliance policies and procedures to efficiently, effectively satisfy requirements of US, UK, and international anti-corruption laws, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the UK Bribery Act, and anti-money laundering regulations, economic sanctions, and export controls. With his many years of in-house experience as background, Rich advises clients on internal compliance planning and program development, compliance training, and implementation of compliance programs. He also provides advice on internal investigations, anti- corruption, and economic sanctions due diligence and contract provisions in connection with third-party relationships, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Rich has provided legal and compliance advice and training programs on anti-corruption matters in some of the most challenging locations around the globe. Before entering private practice, Rich served as senior counsel for investigations and international regulatory compliance for a large multinational petroleum company, where he held global responsibility in the anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, trade sanctions, and export controls areas.
Rich led multi-discipline M&A legal teams on the sale of five petroleum refineries and several pipeline systems; he led the legal work on project financings for large international construction projects; negotiated and advised on petroleum concession agreements, and he led the legal work and negotiations on international joint ventures.
Bar & Court Admissions
• J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, Lead Articles Editor, Law Review • B.A., Northwestern University
- Provided advice to several multinational oil companies on the development and implementation of an anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance program, including development of a code of conduct, policies and procedures, risk assessments, due diligence processes, and training materials.
- Provided advice to a large multinational oil company on an effective anti-corruption compliance program and policies and procedures for international joint ventures.
- Carried out anti-corruption training for several multinational companies.
- Carried out an anti-corruption risk assessment for a multinational petroleum company.
- Advised a multinational manufacturer regarding engaging and contracting with marketing agents and consultants.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a multinational oil field service company regarding potential corruption in operating locations in Africa.
- Carried out due diligence and enhanced due diligence for a multinational petroleum drilling company and for a multinational oil field service company.
- Provided advice to an international manufacturer and marketer on responses to compliance-related questions from the US Department of Justice in connection with an investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Provided advice to a multinational company regarding working with a US Department of Justice monitor.
- Provided advice to a large private equity fund on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economicsanctions, and export controls due diligence and contractual provisions for proposed investments.
- Conducted an anti-corruption investigation and an anti-money laundering investigation for an international financial institution.
- Provided transactional advice on business hospitality, including gifts and entertainment and travel costs, to a multinational company.
- Provided transactional advice to multinational petroleum companies on compliance with anti-corruption laws in connection with their operations in the Middle East and Africa.