AmCham China’s Social Impact Initiative (SII) recently hosted two webinars as part of our ESG Webinar Series. The dual webinars focused on important topics such as human capital and climate change. These webinars aim is to provide both members and the wider community with opportunities to enhance their knowledge on ESG.
January 10, Professor Ethan Rouen from Harvard Business School shared insightful thoughts on ESG-related issues, particularly on human capital and employment.
Key Takeaways from Professor Ethan Rouen of Harvard Business School:
- Providing fair wages and working conditions can generate positive business impacts worth billions of dollars.
- Human capital can be seen as an investment, and companies that invest more in their employees have larger, positive long-term stock returns.
- Investors care about human capital-intensive firms disclosing information related to the financial materiality of the firm’s operations, such as recruitment, turnover, and compensation.
- Fair pay disparity is better for firms than pay that deviates from economic factors, especially when influenced by racial and gender bias or rent-seeking by executives.
- Firms with low turnover and high internal promotions perform better and are better at predicting and insulating against market fluctuations.
At AmCham China’s SII, we are committed to promoting positive change and creating a sustainable future for all. Stay tuned for more updates on our future webinars and events. Click here to learn more about the Social Impact Initiative. For inquires about SII, contact Grace Liu at email@example.com
A special thank you to our 2022-2023 SII Sponsors Amazon, Cargill, Mitsubishi Corporation, Meta, Dell, Bayer, Google, and BabyCare for supporting our SII events.