In the post-COVID era, finding suitable talent to help achieve business objectives and growth targets is a major challenge for companies in China. Knowing essential recruitment strategies can help businesses attract top-tier candidates, as talents are critical resources for companies of all sizes.
As production and the rhythms of daily life return to normality, consumption in China is expected to recover at an accelerated pace. At the same time, scientific and technological innovation and green transformation are driving investment in manufacturing. China’s economic growth forecast for 2023 has improved significantly, and the Chinese economy is expected to become the main engine of global economic growth once again. Given this context, talents are anticipated to become critical resources for companies of all sizes, playing a significant role in determining their ability to achieve success during China’s economic recovery.
Offline & Virtual Job Fairs
Job fairs are an effective channel for recruitment, especially for companies that need to hire a large number of talent. With the rise of remote work and online communication, job fairs could be held virtually online, which can better connect job seekers with employers worldwide. These events can be hosted on platforms like Zoom or Microsoft Teams, allowing job seekers to explore opportunities, network, and interview from their own homes.
Meanwhile, with travel restrictions and other COVID-19 control measures mostly lifted, the job fair can once again be held offline – this helps facilitate more candid and direct communication between the two sides, enhance understanding, and avoid the potential negative outcomes of virtual interviews.
In the post-COVID era, many industries will need to go through major changes to their business structures, supply chains, commercial targets, and business strategy. Against this background, skill-based hiring can help companies find the best-matched talents for their success during the economic recovery period.
Different from traditional recruitment which focuses more on candidates’ qualifications, such as education, career background, and certificates, skills-based hiring focuses more on the skills of candidates that are essential for handling the job and their ability to adapt to new challenges.This approach can help companies attract a more diverse range of candidates and ensure that businesses have the right talent pool to meet changing demands.
Upskilling and Reskilling Programs
Upskilling and reskilling programs refer to internal training programs that can help employees improve their skills or develop a skillset they do not have. As businesses recover from economic downturns and face significant gaps in in-house talent capacity and knowledge, upskilling and reskilling programs can be valuable investments for companies.
By providing current employees with the necessary skills to succeed in changing industries, businesses can boost employee morale, increase retention rates, and ensure they have the talent required to succeed.
From an enterprise perspective, staff training can improve the capabilities of employees and the decision-making abilities of leaders, strengthen collaborative working relationships at all levels, promote operational quality and efficiency, and help the enterprise grow more efficiently and strategically.
For employees, effective training can stimulate their potential and improve their adaptability, working attitude, and sense of responsibility, and cultivate a sense of belonging to the company. It can also help to improve their knowledge base, confidence, and enthusiasm for their work.
Referral programs are another effective recruitment strategy for companies. Companies can incentivize their current employees to refer qualified candidates for job openings. This can be done by offering bonuses or other rewards for successful referrals. Referral programs are a great way to find top talent quickly while also boosting employee engagement and retention.
Collaboration between companies and recruitment agencies can help to create shared talent pools, with agencies providing access to a range of skilled candidates. This can help businesses quickly and efficiently identify and hire the best talent while reducing the costs and resources associated with traditional recruitment.
In recent years, collaborative hiring, especially headhunting, is growing more and more popular among international enterprises and is frequently chosen by enterprise managers. This is mainly due to the following advantages:
- Strong level of confidentiality: One of the most basic rules of the headhunting industry is confidentiality, which includes not publicly disclosing information from clients and candidates.
- Time- and cost-efficient: Headhunting firms usually specialize in certain industries, and consultants have long-standing contact with the best people in those industries. It can take years and a lot of networking to develop these types of connections. Headhunting consultants also have professional talent search technology and databases, which are more efficient than other recruitment methods.
- High-quality candidates: Headhunting consultants have many years of experience in human resource management and can conduct scientific and effective interviews. Through background investigation methods, such as CV verification and personnel investigation, they can repeatedly select candidates who closely match the job requirements.
- Lowered risks: The accuracy of headhunting increases the rate of successful recruitment, which means that companies usually do not need to hire again in the short term for the same position. Additionally, companies typically only make full payment for headhunting services after the talent has successfully passed their probation period, which not only reduces recruitment costs at the outset but also mitigates the risk of unsuccessful recruitment due to unforeseen factors during the onboarding process.
- Value-added services: By collaborating with headhunting companies, in-house HR teams have access to industry trends and can receive authentic feedback from candidates indirectly through the headhunting process. Furthermore, once recommended candidates are successfully on-boarded, headhunting companies offer a range of services to help them quickly acclimate to their new position, maximize their skills, and drive value for the company.
Identifying suitable candidates who can help achieve your company’s business objectives and growth targets is a major challenge in the Chinese market. Without the necessary skills, approach, and dependable recruitment partner, many companies invest significant time and resources without successfully securing the talent they need. To maintain a competitive edge in talent acquisition, companies are encouraged to adopt the latest and most effective recruitment strategies.
This article was first published by China Briefing, which is produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The firm assists foreign investors throughout Asia from offices across the world, including in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, India, and Russia. Readers may write to firstname.lastname@example.org for more support.